Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Best Flower Ever



Okay so that photo above was taken approximately 1 year ago.  ONE YEAR.  And this plant is still alive, not just anywhere, but on the top row of my felt hanging planter, which if you've been following my blog, is the planter of death

Let me explain something:
ONE human year = SEVEN dog years = EIGHTY-SEVEN Michelle's garden years

This plant is basically 87 plant years old in the mini-cosmos reality of my patio garden.  All its contemporaries have died, and yet it still lives strong.



Furthermore, I neglected to mention, that during winter time when it was too LA-cold to go outside, I didn't water this plant at all.  For at least a month!

So what is this wonder plant?  Dipladenia.  I picked it unaware of its awesomeness because I thought it was pretty.  You might see other tropical plants that look very similar to it vining all over trellises and walls -- these are a very closely related plant called Mandevilla.  Some sources say they are the same, that Dipladenia is the old name and now these plants are called Mandevilla.  Other sources say they are the same family or perhaps Dipladenia are in the Mandevilla family (very confusing).  Nevertheless, from what I can tell, they are slightly different -- Mandevilla grow well as vines while Dipladenia are bushier and do not vine in the same way.



A few facts about Dipladenia:
-Sunlight -- varying sources recommend everything from full shade to full sun; mine are doing well in full sun.
-Originated in South America, they like warm climates
-if your climate is temperate enough, they are "evergreen" as opposed to annuals
-Moderate watering (unless you have a super-plant like mine which is totally okay with drying out a bit)
-A good container plant
-They are the Best Flower Ever



Thank you, dear Dipladenia, for making me feel good about my gardening self.

The last very cool thing about this plant is that the Italians love it too.  I do not know if they are partial to the color red or if they just choose what works, but there were lots of red Dipladenia and Geraniums in Italy.  Below is my Dipladenia's Italian cousin in Rome -- I am sure you recognize the structure in the background!



Anyway, today's really awesome track of the day suits my feelings very well today -- I love this plant and even more than that, I love you for reading my little garden blog.  Que Dios le bendiga!

No comments:

Post a Comment