Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Bad News Blueberry



So that's what my blueberries have been slowly turning into recently.  My blueberries have always been one of my most low maintenance plants with regular delicious bounty, so I've been in denial.  But I can no longer ignore the signs... this plant has a blight of some sort.  After looking online for some guidance and solutions, I unfortunately still am not sure why it is or how to fix it.

There are a few possibilities.  It looks most like the pictures I have seen of a virus, called "Blueberry Shock Virus", transmitted by bees.  Apparently, after infection with the virus, the plant can go into a "shock reaction" during which entire sections of the plant die and fall off.  On less-affected areas, the leaves may have little red-brown spots.  The plant may recover, but generally is not as productive as before.  And there is no cure.  



It could also be fungal infection which causes issues like twig or stem blight or stem cankers.  But with those, entire branches tend to die and fall off which is not happening so much as brown, sad-looking leaves.  This too appears to be incurable. 

There are all sorts of other diseases as well, including the phytophthora-related root rot (RIP Jasmine) and "mummy berry".  You can read all about it here.  But I think those are less likely.  Either way, I will have to wait and see.  And if my poor blueberry plant dies, then I will get a new one, since this falls under the "lifetime warranty" on shrubs at my garden center (they should have known better, muahaha).

Meanwhile, my last remaining orchid also doesn't look so hot.  The leaves are individually turning yellow and falling off for unknown reasons.  I think part of it is that I used to water it somewhat haphazardly so that water would land between the leaves.  Perhaps the stem is rotting?  I asked my cousin's cousin, the orchid grower, about all of this when I was in Holland and his advice was, "If it dies, buy a new one."  Will do!  But first I remain hopeful that the remaining leaf will not die.



The garden's not all bad shape though.  My front door shade plants could qualify for plants gone wild.  The funny thing is, I never water these plants...  We have gardeners that take care of the courtyard every Wednesday and they always water them heavily.  With that, they never really dry out.  Don't tell Evan-- I'm taking all the credit for this one.



Well, I am feeling beat.  It must be a sign that I am getting old that a weekend full of enthusiastic wedding partying makes me feel so tired, but alas, pretend as I might, I am no longer really a capable, seasoned party-er (how do you spell that?).  As my husband and I have returned to work, tired already, these moments make me ask, "How do people with kids do it??"  On that note, I dedicate the track of the day to you, and my blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment