Monday, March 31, 2014

Crazy about Air Plants! Part 1: What + How

Perhaps you have read this blog and you're thinking, "Michelle, I love plants but I've got a black thumb and all my plants die" or "I am too busy to care for anything" or "I don't have enough space" or "I don't have any dirt -- no yard, no patio, no planters, not even a kitchen window!"

WELL, you are in luck, because there is a plant for everyone, and there is a plant for you.  And it is called the air plant, otherwise known as Tillandsia.

Not only is it literally the easiest plant in the world to grow and take care of, it is also very trendy at the moment.  I present to you the crop top of plants:

So hot right now...


There are actually several different kinds.  You may remember these little guys as the Tillandsia I bought from The Jungle (available for $3 a piece).  There are also several larger varieties (also available at the Jungle for $10 each).

Big mama


If you pay attention, you will notice these plants everywhere -- they are often in installations at restaurants and shops (like Tinga for all my Westside LA people), or being sold in tiny glass bulbs at shops (like West Elm or the Japanese trinket shops on Sawtelle), or on Pinterest.

This variety is often on living walls


And for good reason... they are really easy to grow.  In fact, it is this simple:

Soil--
They do not need soil.  Put them anywhere

Light--
They prefer filtered (indirect) light, so they can go almost anywhere in your house.

Water--
They need minimal water -- some sources recommend a light mist every few days and others (namely The Sunset Western Garden Book which is my favorite gardening guide) recommend a drench every few days, or a soak if the plant gets too dry.  Note that this is contrary to the myth that these plants don't need any water... they are plants, after all.

Fertilizer--
Only if you're feeling very motivated... then you can spritz them with diluted liquid fertilizer.

Easy peasy!

Interesting texture, like grey scales


Some of these plants will bloom brightly, after which point they die (like my other monocarpic plant, the Aeonium), unless they have made side shoots.  One of my little Tillandsia has already made a side shoot:

Baby


So next time you want to buy a plant for your plant-killer friend or baby mama friend or studying for the oral boards friend (oh wait, that's me...), pick up an air plant!  Stay tuned next week for Tillandsia inspiration...

In the meantime, here's a song to pick up your day: Janelle Monae "What is Love" -- I'm kind of obsessed with it at the moment.  Hug your loved one today!


No comments:

Post a Comment