Saturday, May 18, 2013

The amazing and the really truly terrible

When someone says, "I have good news and bad news," which do you prefer to hear first?  I have always wanted the bad news first. I wonder if that says anything about your personality...


The Bad News

My mortal enemies have returned.

 

I hate them. I get as angry seeing these worms as Evan does when his favorite team loses (last week it was the Caps. Let's not talk about that). As aforementioned, pests tend to attack sick plants. So unfortunately it was somewhat inevitable.




It is a huge plant now in a tiny pot... like a very big lady with tiny feet (have any fellow doctors or people-observers noticed that that happens a lot?)... and it can't even stand up straight. It's so oversized for its pot that it dries out and wilts daily when it is hot.  Thus the hose.  I just leave it there now.

There are a wide variety of green worms that attack tomato plants.  The largest of which are hornworms (baby versions of future Mothra), the smallest of which can burrow into your ripest tomatoes undetected, leaving a bunch of difficult to see caterpillar skins and eggs inside (!!!!).  That's disgusting.  These worms are somewhere in the middle, and not one that I have yet been able to identify from my friend the internet.  What the internet does say is that solutions for "green worms on your tomato plants" include "picking them off", spraying soapy water at them, and/or using serious pesticides that are likely toxic to humans.  And praying.  

Basically, my tomato plant may be doomed.  I have been picking these worms off (or rather cutting them in half again, Godfather style) and will likely try this soapy dishwater nonsense spray, but I am also going to quarantine it tomorrow.  Let's not talk about this. It makes me sad.


The Good News!

On the upside, this is really cool. It may just blow your mind.

Remember the near death experience of my Echeverria? Well! Turns out it truly is a magical plant.

Not only has a small offshoot grown from the mother plant at the site of amputation...


But the amputated parts have also sprouted tiny new micro-plants!


Mind blown!  I will continue to follow these little plants and update you periodically.

Isn't it is nice to end on a good note? Isn't science cool? Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment