Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Science experiment: Magic Succulents!

Alright, alright.  This is a science experiment!

In light of the recent discovery that not one, but TWO of my recently dismantled succulent appendages are growing new mini-plants, I have decided to conduct the following experiment:

Title: "Are succulents really magical?"


Purpose: To determine whether or not accidentally chopped off succulent leaves can truly regrow into full grown healthy plants *under my care.*  Note -- I am aware that it has been done in the history of gardening, but if I am personally able to facilitate this, it would indicate that any dummy could... This would, in my mind, make them magical.  That, and I would never have to buy a succulent again.

Hypothesis: My succulents, having grown a little tiny mini-plant already, will be able to take root and grow, grow, grow! into a succulent jungle in the designated pots (see below).



Procedure: There are four plant types involved--
1. Echeveria
2. Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi, aka "Aurora Borealis"
3. Jade plant
4. Crassula perforata

The first three have had leaves fall off recently that have been found to be turning into independent mini-plants, the last plant... I cut off a piece today from a plant that was growing too tall and threw it in there just because.  All of the plant pieces have been put into a pot with the appropriate soil and moisture, with the plan to observe what happens.



Today is Day 1!  Data, results, and conclusion to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment