Monday, January 20, 2014

And when I am sad, I eat cake...

So this past week, we found out that our landlord is selling our townhouse that we have been living in for the last two years.  Kindly, he offered to let us have first bid on the place, but given that we anticipate wanting a bigger place pretty soon, we declined.  

So we gotta move!  

This is sad for a few reasons:
1. We have to move.  I hate moving.  More accurately, I hate packing and unpacking.  It's the worst.
2.  We have to move out of this place, which I so treacherously scoured the internet 2 years ago to find, with such glory when we did find this place, in Santa Monica with the biggest, nicest patio I had seen in a rental property.  I now consider anything less in outdoor space unlivable.
3.  Because we are moving soon and may or may not have a place to put all my plants, I can't buy any plants or plant any plants in good conscience, until we're settled.  

And of course, it's hard to uproot what's growing...




So while I've been handicapped in the gardening front, I have been baking.  3 cakes/loafs/breads in the last week, in fact.  Here's a couple:

Cranberry-orange-hazelnut loaf



As a side note, this is what cranberries look like on the inside:

Fascinating


Mocha bread



This actually collapsed 10 minutes after taking this picture because it apparently was not fully cooked, but I will not post a picture of that sadness.

Anyway, obviously, this is not the end of the world and I'm trying to see all of this business from the positive angle, because you know, happiness and optimism and all that:
1. We could save money
2. Ending up in a not as nice place might actually motivate us to become grown-ups and buy a place
3. Who knows, we could end up with a nicer place (oh la la)

Plus, how can I really complain?  Santa Monica is so lovely.  Here's some photos from my grocery trip detour today:



I love you Santa Monica

As an aside, to continue on the note of happiness in 2014, I’ve noticed I do a lot of whining.  This apartment business is a good example.  And while I am in no way comparing my mini-inconveniences to the back-story of these inspiring people (I mean this as a total aside), this week, there are two pretty awesome people that I learned about.  

The first is Jiro Ono, subject of Jiro Dreams of Sushi and now 86 or 87 year old chef at the 3-star Michelin sushi restaurant Sukiyabashi Jiro in Tokyo.  Here's a link to the trailer of the documentary which was quite excellent (I just watched it again and I am so hungry now).

Here is a quote that gives at the beginning of the movie:
"Once you decide on your occupation... you must immerse yourself in your work. You have to fall in love with your work. Never complain about your job. You must dedicate your life to mastering your skill. That's the secret of success... and is the key to being regarded honorably."


As a side note, Jiro's beginnings are humble -- he was kicked out of the house at age 9.  In his youth, he started making sushi, and never looked back, still aspiring to be better (even though he is considered by many to be the best).

And the second is Aimee Mullins, athlete, model, actress, speaker of this TED talk and this TED talk and... bilateral amputee.  She has transformed her disability into, for her, potential ("I don't feel disabled").  She's amazing.



I read about this and wonder about my own potential if I just change my way of thinking.  What could I achieve in my field?  What expertise could I build outside of work if I just put my mind to it?  What if I just spent a little less time on the internet and in front of the TV!

It's just a thought :)

I know the last two weeks have been a little hodge-podgy.  Less gardening.  More feelings.  (Yes, I am made of "billions of cells and millions of feelings", thank you Mindy).  Not enough plants.  In the upcoming months, there might be more general gardening and plants, more food (after all, gardening is so intricately linked with cooking!), and the like because I won't be getting as much dirt under my fingernails.  But for next week at least, I plan to talk straight plants again.  Here's a preview...

Baby succulents!

Until then, Let the Sunshine In!  (Unless you're somewhere cold, then maybe turn on a heat lamp... or come visit me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment